Skip to main content

Queer Catholic: A Spin-off of "Pride"

My husband's latest blog post concludes with, "I am Catholic and I am queer. I wish it didn't hurt to say both together." I'd like to add my perspective:

It occurred to me that I say "I am Catholic and I am queer" with no pain.

Not to invalidate the pain of people who do continue to struggle. Not to say I haven't felt this pain in the past. But I would like to offer hope to (for lack of a better umbrella term) queer folk that the people we're attracted to don't wreck us for communion with God and Eir people. (Bear with the Spivak pronoun for God, there, and if it's not clicking/you want to know more about Spivak...worth a Google.)

All I'm trying to offer here is my limited experience, not in a normative sense: I've been attracted to people regardless of gender for as long as I can remember; I didn't realize the implications until well later in life. I used to play Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Magic Nursery Babies with my best friend in first grade. I did grow up in a dysfunctional home and submitted to an abusive (hetero) romantic relationship for three years, after which I wanted nothing more to do with men as life partners, until I met Jon, who (as stated in his blog (and yes, he is fine with male pronouns)), doesn't really identify as male anyway. We hit it off instantly and rocked a platonic relationship for a good two years before leveling up.

I do acknowledge and embrace my female body as an aspect of the being God has given me, and I consider it a crucial part of my work and witness to develop and share the interests and strengths I also believe are part of the gift, including aspects that are non-gender-conforming, such as my love of power tools and football. I have yet to hear anybody claim a woman shouldn't be into such things, and for that I'm thankful, and yet people often express surprise when my husband isn't the one in charge of shoveling snow, mowing the lawn, and maintaining the house. I often ponder what exactly would be the definition of God-ordained femininity in any meaningful, universal sense, and have yet to come to any conclusions.

We still desperately need to clarify that cultural expectations of masculinity and femininity are not necessarily God’s, and to the extent I can offer my non-gender-conforming skills to the building up of the Kingdom, I hope to be a witness to what faithful, queer femininity can look like.

Part of the challenge, whether queer or not, is discerning which parts of us are God-ordained and which are not. I pray for the humility to never be so attached to any construct I have of my identity that I wouldn't surrender it to God. I have repented of and am at peace with whatever it is in me that's attracted me to disordered relationships (yeah, I used that word) of any kind, and am thankful that by God's grace I am not a slave to my desires. I also take comfort in St. Joan of Arc's shocking non-gender-conformity, having been quite torn between her and St. Hildegard for my confirmation patron saint.


I used to get a real chip on my shoulder when messages would come from the pulpit or elsewhere undermining the dignity due queer folk as children of God. In the course of entering into full communion with the Catholic Church, God penetrated my heart deeper than ever before a knowledge of my true identity in Em, which puts me now in a position to be pissed not over what I would perceive to be a compromise of my own worth, but rather, for the sake of people who may have put themselves in a vulnerable place even setting foot in a Catholic church, only to hear a message that could put them in such a defensive position as to miss the Goodness, Truth, and Beauty that Christ has to offer them, for the transformation of all our brokenness, both perceived and hidden.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Clinging.

Jesus said to Mary Magdalene, “Do not cling to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father” (Jn 20). I’ve always wondered at that. Her Lord is risen! Why would Jesus tell Mary to back off, when she could again touch his incarnate, living, now resurrected, glorified body?! I see myself in that place, longing just to kiss his feet! Why would Jesus deny her? In this passage, the reason seems to be that Jesus has an urgent mission for Mary: “Go to my brothers and tell them, 'I am going to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.'" But I think the reason is further developed in the story of the Road to Emmaus. Jesus, present yet hidden from the disciples’ sight, reveals his fulfillment of prophecy. The response of the disciples is first an internal one, their hearts burning within them (as I felt myself when I first began to recognize the Real Presence of God in the Mass). Their succeeding action is to ask Jesus to stay with them, and not until he breaks bread

The Pentecost Report

The Spirit did not disappoint. Were there observable tongues of fire or speaking in foreign languages? No, but our worship was particularly Spirit-filled, and whether plausibly-deniable things happen, or whether the Spirit is working more interiorly, how could we capture the experience in words, either way? The choir chanted the Veni Sancte Spiritus sequence, and I was thankful to have spent time chewing on the Latin and getting the tune in my head so I could sing wholeheartedly and know what I was even saying. We collaborate with the Spirit when we follow due diligence in preparation.    And we finally nailed Regina Caeli; a unity of jubilant voices, clean entrances, and flute and violin to boot! Rejoicing with Mary at the resurrection of her son! Since when was I able to enter into a song of beauty and Joy?! Since Easter!   But Eucharist. I was taken up in God’s transcendence and imminence, perfection and mercy; the all-powerful, all-benevolent creator of the universe sent Eir S

Between Ascension and Pentecost

Last Monday was my husband’s and my last night of RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults: Catholic membership classes, as it were). These have been one of the high points of my weeks, these last 9 months, the best sort of date night with my husband. I’ve shed more tears of joy and beauty in that class than I could’ve ever anticipated. This, plus Ascension having just passed. My husband had taken Thursday off before we knew Ascension was transferred to Sunday in our diocese, so we joined some friends over in Lapeer for our first Tridentine Latin Mass, during which they Extinguished the Paschal Candle. Bye, RCIA. Bye, Jesus. But the homily on Thursday proposed that Christ’s Ascension established our hope for our mortal bodies also being taken up into union with God forever; where the Head goes, the Body follows. The Incarnation was God Made Flesh here on Earth, and in the Ascension, Jesus goes to prepare a place for us, as a bridegroom builds his beloved a home where